|INTRODUCTION TO THE FEDERATION OF BANGLADESH CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY (FBCCI)
The Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FBCCI) is the apex trade organization of Bangladesh playing a pivotal role in consultative and advisory capacity, safeguarding the interest of the private sector.
|Year of Establishment
||: Trade Organization Ordinance, 1961
and Companies Act, 1913.
|Type of members
||: (1) Chambers of Commerce and Industry
A Class Chamber
B Class Chamber
: (2) Trade and Industrial Associations.
A Class Association
B Class Association
: (3) Joint Chamber (with Foreign Countries)
|Total Number of Member bodies
||: (1) Chambers of Commerce and Industry
A Class Chamber 49
B Class Chamber 24
: (2) Trade and Industrial Association
A Class Association 329
B Class Association 05
: (3) Joint Chamber
(with Foreign Countries) 19
|Composition of Board of Directors
|| President — 01
First Vice-President — 01
Vice-President — 01
Directors — 49
FBCCI’S BROAD OBJECTIVES AND FUNCTIONS
- To coordinate and promote the interest of its federating units-Chambers of Commerce, Trade and Industrial Association;
- To aid and stimulate investment, development of trade, commerce, industry, agriculture, tourism, human resources and communication sectors in Bangladesh;
- To project, encourage and safeguard the cause of the private sector through effective participation in the process of consultation and inter-action with the Government, Ministerial Consultative Committees and other inter-ministerial bodies and agencies;
- To assist the Chambers of Commerce and Industry and Associations in organizing of Trade and Industry Fairs in different parts of Bangladesh;
- To collect and disseminate statistical and other information for advancement of trade and industry;
- To make efforts for the spread of commercial, technical and economic knowledge for promotion of commercial, technical, industrial and scientific education in the country;
- To study and undertake research for promotion and growth of trade and industry;
- FBCCI is involved in forging strong bilateral ties between and among different countries of the world through counterpart organizations for commercial and economic cooperation. It helps promote Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) including Joint Ventures in Bangladesh and identify appropriate partners;
- It maintains close relation with Overseas National Chambers of Commerce and other Trade and Industrial Associations including related economic organization;
- The FBCCI as the Apex Trade Organization plays the pivotal role in consultative and advisory capacity in formulation of Commercial, Industrial and Fiscal policies at the national level. It has been playing a very vital role in all Forum of the Government and Economic Development organizations for mutual sharing of views on all vital issues concerning and affecting the national economy;
- FBCCI represents the Private Sector in different permanent committees of the Government and autonomous bodies;
- FBCCI also represents the Private Sector in various Committees and Task Forces on specific issues, constituted by the Government from time to time.
| INTERNATIONAL LINKS
FBCCI is the member of different international bodies, such as International Chambers of Commerce (ICC), Islamic Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ICCI), Confederation of Asia-Pacific Chambers of Commerce and Industry (CACCI) and the SAARC Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI). To safeguard and protect the interest of business community in the international arena, FBCCI maintains close communication with these International Organizations.
FBCCI has Joint Chamber/Cooperation Agreement with the national trade organizations of the following countries:
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- The Republic of Korea
|The Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry has collaboration agreements with the General Union of Chambers of Commerce and Industry and Agriculture of the Arab Countries, Karnataka Chamber of Commerce & Industry and Mizoram Chamber of Commerce of India, Kunming Chamber of Commerce & Industry of China and Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Singapore. The FBCCI has also established a Joint Chamber viz., Bangladesh India Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BICCI) in cooperation with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry and signed an agreement of understanding with the United States Bangladesh Business Council (USBBC).